To register a website there are a few things that have to be taken into consideration.
· Domain name – Your domain name is quite simply your website address and this is what people type into their browser when they want to find your site for example yoursitename.com. Your domain name is your online IDENTITY and you must be very careful when choosing your name.
· You want to make sure it is as short as possible so that people can remember it easily.
· If it’s for business purposes, you want to ensure that you include words that pertain to your market or product.
· Also you want to ensure that you choose the.com extension where possible as these are more recognized than the other extensions and will give you an immediate trust factor with potential viewers.
· One thing to avoid is choosing a domain name containing a popular brand or product as this is not only unethical but can get you into some expensive legal trouble.
Once you have chosen your names- I say names because there are so many websites out there, that your favorite may have already been taken- then you are ready for the next step.
You now need to find a good domain registrar to claim your website. You see, technically when you register a website you are actually registering the domain name.
When choosing the registrar you may want to shop around as this will ensure you to get the best value for your money. A few good ones to check are GoDaddy and Namecheap.
Also some hosting companies offer free domain registration or discounted prices, when you sign up, so you may want to explore that option also.
Once you decide on a registrar you can now register a website by following the steps laid out at the registrar’s website. This is easy as you’ve already done the hardest part by choosing a name.
Congratulations! By registering your domain name you have exclusive rights to use that domain name for the specified period (usually a year). This is the first step to establishing your brand online.